Monday, December 6, 2010

This is why we animate


Thought of You from Ryan Woodward on Vimeo.


I just found this amazing video on Cartoon Brew.  It was animated by Ryan Woodward who is someone I have been a fan of for a long time.  When I was in college I bought one of his books and it served as constant motivation for me to push forward because I saw what could be achieved in life drawing.  This short shows in the most basic form why we animate.  It is clear that reference material was used for this short, just as it is clear that every Zemeckis film uses reference.  The difference here, the most important thing about this short is that it takes life and amplifies a chosen truth about it.  When watching this short we feel emotion, we feel connection.  The volumes and mass are so grounded in reality and yet with a few interferences by the artist here and there we are taken to a world that does not exist, but one that we believe can exist. This for me at least, is the reason to create. 

1 comment: