Friday, March 22, 2013

Water World!

I've been stuck on the problem of water.  My short film involves a lot of water and although there are many different ways I have seen this achieved in studios (resin with cling wrap, KY, hair gel etc.) I wanted to go a different route.  I don't necessarily want my water to look like just water (clear, glassy, reflective).  I want it to have some extra life and texture.  So I've been experimenting a lot with beads threaded on animatable wires to animate waves of water but it just looked to stringy and not quite what I was going after.


Last night I was experimenting with different textures for another part of the set when I had a brainstorm.  I got a small tupperwear container and filled it with 70% table salt 10% water and 20% different shades of blue beads.


Somehow the sum of these parts created a very animatable substance.  And because it was made out of very small particles it was easy to animate in some of the subtleties of water.  I did a quick test animation last night and was very pleased with the initial results.  I feel that the next round of tests will be even more successful   This is a HUGE step forward since the water solution was really holding me back.

I'm really excited to test some more with this.  Last night I just threw in whatever beads I had but I feel like some of them were just too big.  Next time around I'm going to keep it smaller and work with different tones a bit more.

4 comments:

  1. Impressive! I like the innovative thinking, and the effect looks great. It definitely has that textured look you were talking about. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Avi! Bit by bit it's all coming together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. super cool experiment! I love how many amazingly creative ways to do anything there is in our medium!!

    great stuff!!

    jriggity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks jriggity!! It's certainly fun to experiment! :)

    ReplyDelete